Students will use genetically engineered bacteria producing fluorescent pigments to create art on agar plates. Painting with bacteria requires the strict use of aseptic techniques, understanding of bacterial growth rates and conditions that influence bacterial growth. This module uses Agar Art: Creating Masterpieces with Microbes Edvo-Kit #228 from the American Society for Microbiology.
- A unique and very memorable STEAM lesson for Biology students.
- Appropriate for General Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Biology Courses.
- A great way to introduce students to fluorescent protein markers.
- Students will use aseptic techniques.
- Students grow genetically modified bacteria.
- Students will create original artwork using bacteria colonies.