CRISPR has quickly become one the most important and widely used tools in genetic engineering, thanks in large part to its ease of use and low cost. In this module, students will use CRISPR to modify the expression of LacZ to create an easily recognizable phenotype in bacteria colonies using Out of the Blue CRISPR Kit Catalog #12012608EDU from Bio-Rad.
- Students will get to work with one of the most exciting and fast-growing biotechnologies!
- This module is appropriate for classes in Biotechnology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Biomedical Sciences, and Microbiology.
- Show students that the cutting edge of biological research is more approachable and achievable than they may have thought!
- Use CRISPR to modify bacteria.
- Grow the modified bacteria on plates.
- Observe the altered phenotype.